LASAGNA With Pepperonis!
Updated: Oct 25
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 2 h 30 min
Ready in: 3 h 15 min
1 lb. sweet Italian Sausage
1 lb ground turkey
2/3 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic minced
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 oz) cans canned tomato sauce
2 Tbls white sugar
1 hefty dash Dried Oregano
1 hefty dash Dried Basil
1 hefty pinch coarse salt
1 small pinch ground black pepper
4 Tbls chopped fresh parsley
8 oz Ricotta cheese (More or less based on preference)
1/2 tsp salt
1 lb. shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 package Pepperoni!
16 cooked and drained lasagna noodles (no-boil noodles not preferred for this recipe!)
1. In a big sauce pan with lid over med high heat, brown sausage and turkey. Add onion and cook until onion begins to soften. Add garlic and cook over medium heat until garlic is fragrant.
2. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Season with sugar, Basil, Oregano, Salt and Pepper. Simmer, covered for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees when sauce is almost done.
3. Bring a pot of lightly salted (like the sea - Thanks Samin) water to boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water according to package directions. Drain noodles and rinse well with cold water.
4. In a mixing bowl, combine ricotta cheese with beaten egg & salt.
5. To assemble: lay 4 noodles with the ribbons overlapping so the entire bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish is covered. Scoop meat sauce (be generous) onto noodles and spread evenly. Spread with 1/3rd of the ricotta cheese mixture. Top with 1/3 Pepperonis, 1/3 Mozzarella, 1/3 Parmesan. Lay 4 noodles on top of this layer overlapping the noodle edges. Repeat layers (4 total). For the 4th, top layer; cover in remaining Mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover with foil: To prevent sticking, either spray foil with cooking spray or make sure the foil does not touch the cheese.
6. Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 10 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.